I haven’t been consistently following many storylines in wrestling these days, so I’m bringing a mostly outdated view of who’s good and who’s bad. It seems like I haven’t missed much: Omega is still adored as founder and living legend, while MJF is as heinous as ever. While the stipulation wasn’t necessarily original, the match was impeccable. The match led around the lower bowl of the arena, and the athletes hit all of the highlights. What has stuck with me since viewing, though, was Will Ospreay coming out to aid Omega. After providing enough of an interruption to the match to prevent an MJF pin, the camera cuts back to Ospreay’s face, and he looks so happy. He walks up the ramp to leave, but pauses and turns back to watch, for awhile lingering before returning backstage. In a world where everything is premeditated and intentional, here is arguably the best working wrestler active today, reduced to a mere fan. Whether or not that expression of pride was genuine, it was believable enough that I fell for it. That’s what happens when a match as good as this one takes place. It’s not about Ospreay; he didn’t do anything other than react honestly. It’s about the athletes in the ring, and the story they can tell.
No comments:
Post a Comment